Character development at UMC High School is about helping students learn and practice positive character attributes. When we build good character, we build strong communities.
THE IMPORTANCE OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
Character development at UMC High School is about helping students learn and practice positive character attributes. When we build good character, we build strong communities. In the school community when character development is woven into programs and practices it becomes a way of life.
Student success is dependent on a safe, caring, and inclusive learning environment where all students feel valued. This starts by teaching our students about the value of character – respecting themselves and each other, making positive contributions to their school and community, and thinking critically and creatively.
Teachers are role models for students and can provide examples of good character every day in the classroom. Students notice what teachers, do, say, tolerate, and how they handle challenges.
THE PURPOSE OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
- Develops the whole student.
- Contributes to a healthy, safe, and orderly school environment.
- Creates a collaborative school where teaching and learning can be the focus.
- Provides high expectations for learning and behavior.
- Engages students in their learning.
- Is Universal.
- Is Respectful.
- Strives for an ever-growing depth of self-awareness, self-discipline, and understanding.
PILLARS OF MONTHLY CHARACTER
It has been said that character can be measured by what one would do if no one were looking. True character is instilled at a deep level so that positive behavior is automatic. The Josephson Institute of Ethics defines the main pillars of character to include: trustworthiness, responsibility, respect, caring, fairness, and citizenship. Courage, diligence, and integrity are also sometimes included.
- January – Integrity
- February – Courage
- March/April – Inclusiveness
- May- Empathy
- June – Resilience/Perseverance
- July/August – Citizenship
- September- Respect
- October – Honesty
- November – Responsibility
- December – Co-operation (through Kindness and Caring)