ONLY ENGLISH RULE
All students are required to speak only English in class, on campus, during school activities, for the entire time they are enrolled in the program. Should a student persistently break this rule, it will result in the following actions:
1st notice upon
2nd notice upon
3rd notice upon
The standard uniform includes the following:
1. Shirts will be white in color. Shirts will have a collar and short/long sleeves. Shirts will be plain, with no pockets, writing, emblems, or designs of any kind except a standard UMC HS logo. The standard UMC HS logo as displayed, is optional. No other logos will be used. Only plain white T-shirts will be worn underneath these shirts and will not extend past sleeve length.
2. In addition to white shirt, students may wear a white shirt and may dress casually every Friday.
3. Shirts will be tucked in and must be long enough to stay tucked when the arms are raised above the head. The style will be a pullover with two, three, or four buttons at the top. Shirts will not be excessively worn, faded, or frayed and will not have holes or cuts.
1. Slacks and skirts will be gray in colour and of the specified shade. The shade is gray. They will not be rolled at either the waist or the cuff.
2. Slacks are uniform. There should be no designer labels on slacks. Slacks will have belt loops and will be worn with a belt. The belt will be black and will be no wider than one inch. Slacks will have two pockets in front and one in back. “Cargo” style pants are not acceptable. Slacks will have finished bottoms. Cuffs are acceptable. There will be no flared or bell-bottoms. They will not have holes, cuts, or be frayed. Slacks must be worn at the waist as designed. No jeans, bike shorts, stretch pants, or sweatpants will be worn. NO CAPRI PANTS WILL BE WORN.
3. Knee length shorts (that meet the criteria of “Slacks” above) are acceptable.
1. Caps, hats or head coverings are NOT to be worn during the school day, or inside the school day, or inside the school building. DO NOT BRING CAPS OR HATS ON CAMPUS DURING SCHOOL TIME.
2. Rollers, curlers, picks, rakes, forks, or combs in hair are prohibited.
3. Unnatural coloring of hair or cutting of symbols or designs in hair is not permitted.
4. Beards and goatees are NOT allowed. Sideburns (no longer than the bottom of the ear) and mustaches are allowed and must be neat and well trimmed.
5. Sunglasses are not to be worn on school grounds unless prescribed for medical purposes and verified with a doctor’s note, which must be presented to an administrator for approval.
6. Pictures or writing on book sacks, gym bags, jackets, etc. of and offensive, derogatory or obscene nature is prohibited at school (e.g. alcohol, tobacco, drugs, weapons, blood, skulls, etc.).
SMOKE FREE POLICY
This policy describes management of smoking within UMC High School. It reflects a concern for the health of both employees and students and is based on current legislative requirements and educational practices. Our aim is for students and adults to respect our smoke free expectations by choosing not to smoke at school. We intend to achieve this by promoting the non use of tobacco among students and adults.
UMC High School is a non smoking environment where the use of tobacco products will be prohibited on all school property and at school sponsored events.
Regular attendance is crucial to success in the UMC High School programs. The guidelines of the Ministry of Education require that students receive at least 110 hours of instruction for each credit course. The UMC High School expects all students to attend all classes. Valid documentation must be presented to the teacher and the office for missed classes. Persistent absences will result in the following actions:
|1st notice upon 5 HOURS
|2nd notice upon 9 HOURS
|3rd notice upon 15 HOURS
|Warning to student and the
development of a plan by
student and staff to improve
|Warning sent to parents or
guardians with an interview
required with the Principal/
|Interview with the
Potential loss of Credit.